Concealed Handgun Permit Process New and/or Renewal
You can apply for concealed handgun permits and renewals at both Sheriff’s office locations.
DCSO is committed to preserving citizens’ Second Amendment rights while ensuring community safety and adhering to the law.
To get a new permit:
- Download and print out new permit packet or pick one up from one of our offices.
- Do not sign the application. You must sign it under oath at the Sheriff’s Office.
- You’re required to turn in your application, supporting documents, and payment in person.
- You’ll be photographed and fingerprinted
when you submit your application.
- Pay a non-refundable $152.50 fee. That pays for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s fingerprint processing and the sheriff’s services. We accept credit cards, cash, and checks made payable to “Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.” Additional fees may apply for credit cards.
- Show proof of residency in Douglas County with a driver’s license, state ID, or military ID.
**When valid proof of military service is presented at the time of the application submission, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office (DCSO) will waive DCSO fees – CBI fees will still be collected.
- Present certified training certificates that show you’re competent with a handgun. Note: Web-based handgun safety courses are allowed if the instructor has worked with the students face-to-face to evaluate their safety skills. Hunter safety education courses are not allowed. To check if your class meets the requirements, first, ask the Concealed Handgun Specialist at 303-814-7660.
If you are renewing your Douglas County Sheriff CHP:
- You will receive your application in the mail.
- If you have moved here from another Colorado County or have not received your renewal application, please call 303-814-7660 and speak to one of our CHP Specialists.
- Once completing your Renewal Application, mail or email the application, the notarized affidavit, copy of Colorado driver’s license, copy of your current CHP, proof of military service (if applicable), and the appropriate fees to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 303-663-0688 or mail it to; 4000 Justice Way, Castle Rock, CO 80109 Attn: Concealed Handgun Permits.
- Once we receive your paperwork a CHP specialist will contact you by phone for credit card payment. If for any reason you are not comfortable giving credit card information out over the phone, then you must mail in a check made payable to Douglas County Sheriff’s Office. Your permit will not be processed until funds are received.
Any questions please call 303-814-7660 and talk with one of our CHP Specialists.
Once you’ve been notified that your permit is ready, come to the Justice Center, located at 4000 Justice Way, Castle Rock, 80109.
If this is a new permit, you will go to the Sheriff’s Office Lobby near the main entrance (to the right after you pass through security).
If this is a renewal, you can collect your permit from the Concealed Handgun Permit window in Records.
You will be required to present identification to collect your permit. Please bring your old permit to exchange for the replacement.
Please note due to new laws in Colorado, you must submit your renewal in the County that you reside in.
If you are a Douglas County Resident and currently have a Douglas County Permit, within 90 days before your permit expires, you’ll be mailed a renewal application and an affidavit of continued firearms qualification. Complete them and have your signature notarized on both forms. You can also wait to sign and notarize the forms at the Sheriff’s Office for a $5 fee.
If you are a Douglas County Resident and currently have a permit issued from another county, within 90 days before your permit expires you may pick up the renewal application at the Sheriff’s Office in Castle Rock Monday through Friday, 0r at the Highlands Ranch Substation on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The affidavit of continued firearms qualification will need to be notarized. You can have the form notarized here at the Sheriff’s Office for a $5 fee.
The cost to renew your permit is $63. The fee is for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s background check and for the Sheriff’s services. We accept credit cards, cash, and checks made payable to “Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.” Additional fees may apply for credit cards.
When you bring valid proof of military service at the time of the application submission, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office (DCSO) will waive DCSO fees. Note: CBI fees will still be collected.
If you’re still eligible to carry, you’ll get a new permit within 90 days.
How To Update My Address:
Please fill out this change of address form and mail it, drop it off or fax it to 303-688-2602.